The Williamson Art Gallery is minutes from the heart of Birkenhead, on the edge of Oxton village.
Opened to the public in 1928, The Williamson Art Gallery was funded through Birkenhead Borough Council by the philanthropists John Williamson, a Director of the Cunard Steamship Company Ltd, and his son Patrick Williamson. Find out more about its history.
The gallery displays include artworks, ceramics, sculptures and maritime history. It is home to the largest public collection of Della Robbia pottery in the UK and to some internationally important paintings (more about its collections).
Exhibitions at The Williamson are always free. It is centrally located and easily accessible by car and local transport, with free parking.
- Wed-Thurs: 10.30am–5pm
- Fri: 10:30am–9:00pm
- Sat: 10.00am–4.30pm
Bus route Collect the 464, 471Q or 472Q from Whitechapel (Liverpool), alighting at the Shaw Street stop on Borough Road (outside Birkenhead Library). Walk in the same direction as the bus was travelling, turning right on Balls Road. Keep on up Balls Road, crossing Oxton Road to meet Slatey Road. The Williamson is on your right at this junction.
Map link: goo.gl/maps/JKttDdVVafugXRmr8
Closest train station Birkenhead Central
Walk from Lime Street Due to the River Mersey it is not possible to walk from Lime Street. For those who want to use the train, alight at Birkenhead Central. Walk up Borough Road (head towards the flyover) until Shaw Street and follow instructions for bus route above.
What Three Words brick.solo.boil
Phone +44 (0) 151 66 3537